Wednesday, January 26, 2011

GOOD PROGNOSIS

FINALLY the ONCOLOGIST appointment!
The DCIS tumors found in the tissue removed from the reduction are a low grade breast cancer. This is a very good prognosis. As the oncologist told us a year from now the picture would probably not have been so pretty!  
How very blessed I am that I listened to the promptings to have the reduction done!  
So...for now...since the tumors were low grade..NO radiation and no further imaging or surgery is needed.  
I have been placed on an oral medication called  Tamoxifen which I will take daily for the next 5 years! 
Tamoxifen is an antagonist of the estrogen receptor in breast tissue. It has been the standard endocrine (anti-estrogen) therapy for hormone receptor-positive early breast cancer. The side effects mostly include hot flashes but some people experience no side effects.

The oncologist will follow me every 3 months for a year and that will taper off over the next 5 years. 
He anticipates the next needed imaging will be in December where they will do a breast MRI instead of a mammogram.
How thankful I am for all the prayers and concerns in my behalf these past few weeks! 

Tender Mercies of Joy! 


8 comments:

Nelson Family said...

I am so glad things went well for you! We sure love you and appreciate all you do! HUGS!!!

Leah said...

I'm so glad to hear this! I've been worried...Take care and I hope things continue to get better!
Love ya!
Leah

Unknown said...

that is great news! Lots of hugs and thoughts and prayers from the Western Family!

Bonny said...

What fantastic news Jenny!!!! I almost started crying when I read you post. Definitely one of the tender mercies of the Lord!!!

Kristin said...

Definitely good news! SO HAPPY:)

Rachel said...

Wow Jenny, that is CRAZY! I am so happy for your results!! Wayta follow the Spirit - tender mercies for sure!

Anonymous said...

You deserve a break today!!! You know, the catchy song-ad, comes to mind with this fantastic news!!! Take care Jenny. God Bless you and your darling family. Love, Bonnie B.

Shay said...

Woohoooo! What fabulous news! So happy for you. What a load off...in more ways than one ;)
love, Shay