Monday, January 17, 2011

Unbelievable But True

Last summer, my daughter-in-law Bethany's 2 sisters decided to have breast reductions. From the minute I heard about there adventure something kept telling me that is what I should do too. In October 2010 I took myself to the plastic surgeon to see if that would be something that would benefit me too as I have suffered from back, neck, and shoulder pain for many years. I scheduled the surgery for January 6, 2011. During that waiting time I have many doubts whether I should go thru with the surgery, not only from myself but others around me.

On January 6, 2011 I underwent surgery for breast reduction. They were able to take 605 gm off the right and 740 gm off the left. Although it wasn't a pleasant surgery the results were immediately impressive. Four days after my surgery I went to the plastic surgeon for a dressing change, much to my surprise he revealed to us that the tissue he removed from my left breast had signs of early breast cancer despite a normal mammogram 2 weeks before the surgery. He stated that he and the pathologist would go to the tumor board at the Huntsman Cancer Center and that we would have to wait a long week for more results.

During my follow up visit January 17, 2011 with the plastic surgeon I was told that in fact I have DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) localized in 2 tumors in my left breast. The tumors are very small, however since there are 2 of them the concerns are increased. Whether there are additional tumors in the remaining breast tissue is yet to be known. I will have an appointment with the oncologist next Wednesday (January 26, 2011) to determine my plan of care. Thankfully  at this stage, DCIS is a non-invasive, non-life threatening breast cancer but left untreated could certainly progress.

In retrospect I know that I was being inspired to have this surgery as it would have been a whole year before my next mammogram. I consider this a true tender mercy from my Heavenly Father. I plan to post things as they arise, so as to keep you all up to date on what is happening in my journey.

Grandma Jenny and Lauren. . .Cancer buds

11 comments:

Kristin said...

We love you Jenny! We are here for you. . .ANYTHING you need! CANCER sucks!!!

Rachel said...

Wow Aunt Jenny!! It definitely sounds like you were guided to do this. I'm so glad it was caught at this point, and we will definitely keep you in our prayers. In the meantime, I hope you are recovering ok!

Rachel said...

P.S. I'm glad that you returned to blogging!

Aimee said...

Aunt Jenny :( I'm sorry you have to deal with all this! You are a strong lady. We love you!

Erik, Amy, Eliza, Esther & Eden said...

We were so shocked to hear the news! You will be in our prayers and our thoughts. Keep us updated as much as possible. WE LOVE YOU AUNT JENNY!!!!

Susan said...

Jenny, I'm so glad you went through with the surgery, that truly was a tender mercy. You will be in my prayers. I wish you lots of love and peace through this whole process.

Hannah said...

Guess what? I love you and you are my most favorite aunt! I will be keeping tabs on you and your blog daily!

Donna I. Lesh ( said...

Thank you for sharing. I feel like it was a tender mercy and as well, a Divine Intervention. My heart feels sad for all you are dealing with and my prayers are definitely with you and your family.

Steph said...

Whew! I am grateful you had surgery as well! Thinking of you!
Steph

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Jenny, and the old adage that things come in threes!!! Okay? No more medical issues (worse than the flu) can happen in your sweet family! God bless you all! Bonnie Barnum

Jenny Cruz said...

Our health rally is the main tops of this world. I will give you my prayers too Jenny. Some have problems too in their healt and the find breast reduction surgery as medication to this. It presents an interesting issue when we're getting into an era where every health care cost is going to be scrutinized.